Weekend Round Up

Hard Working Hawks Pick up 2 points from 4


Full 9 Yards sponsored Blackburn Hawks ended their regular season with an exciting win in Solihull and a narrow defeat at home to Solway.






Barons took the lead with a goal by Ottosson after just 21 seconds of the game. This woke up the Hawks and they started to put some pressure on the Barons defence and were rewarded on 7.07 with a Robin Kovar goal, assisted by James Royds. James then turned goal scorer on 12.45 with the go-ahead goal for Hawks. Youngster Jack Murry was awarded an assist on the goal. The rest of the period was end to end play as both teams stepped up the pace. The home side was next to score with Ottosson’s second of the night on 14.12. to make it 2-2. After a period of Hawks pressure James Royds hit his second of the night as the clock ran down towards the end of the period and the visitors hit the locker room with a 3-2 lead.

The game actually went 10 minutes into the second half before the next goal came along and it was another Baron’s equaliser, on the power play by Harrison. Two minutes later they shocked the noisy Hawks support as Brittle made it 4-3 Barons. Ottosson picked up his 4th point of the night on the goal. The match was always bubbling under the surface and it exploded as Ollie Lomax and Barons’ Rogers clashed. The end result was a bit of a tussle and both players sitting out penalties (2 mins slashing and 2+2 fighting for Lomax and 2+2 for Rogers for fighting). Hawks drew level on 38.26 after James Neil hit a rocket past the Barons’ netminder with assists going to Jack Murray and Ross Kennedy. The period ended with Hawks taking a 5-4 lead on the last second of the stanza through a James Riddoch goal, assisted by Robin Kovar and Luke Boothroyd.  That ended a superbly entertaining period with the visitors just shading the game.

Barons had the first chance of the final period with a Penalty Shot but Luke Brittle missed the chance.

The fisticuffs broke out again when the home side’s White went to the box on a tripping call and Brittle and Petr Valusiak squared up to each other, resulting in 2 mins for White and a total of 6 minutes each for Petr Valusiak and Brittle. Hawks increased their lead on 48.05 with a Ross Kennedy power play goal assisted by Luke Boothroyd and James Neil. There was still plenty of excitement left for the crowd as Ottosson and Ross Kennedy had a coming together resulting in both sitting out the referee’s favourite call of the night,  2+2+2 .  Hawks then scored their 7th with another James Riddoch goal on 50.53 giving the visitors a healthy 7-4 lead which did not alter as the game ended.  Not before Ottosson and Ross Kennedy came together for the second time in the game, both players receiving 2+2 for roughing.  And so the game ended with a deserved Hawks 7-4 win. Fair play to Barons who competed throughout and gave Hawks a stern test in a good old fashioned game of hockey that had everything with Niklas Ottosson and Ross Kennedy getting a “Gordie Howe” hat-trick. For you youngsters reading this…….  A goal, an assist and a fight.






I am afraid only an abridged version of the normal report available as your reporter left all his notes at the rink. Our regular updater was away having a great time on the piste, therefore no backup.

A spirited performance from Hawks who left everything on the ice to try and finish the season with a win.

Hawks took the lead with an outstanding individual effort from Robin Kovar on 9.18 which was equalised 6 minutes later with a Petr Gapa goal. The first ended with the teams all square at 1-1.

The home side took the lead on 22.48 with a delayed penalty goal by Jared Dickinson, his first goal in Hawks colours. Assists went to Peter Valusiak and Ross Kennedy. Solway came back hard and scored 3 goals in just short of three minutes to make it 4-2 to the Sharks. Things worsened for the Hawks on 39.09 when Cale Tanaka scored for the Sharks to make it 1-4. Hawks were showing the never say die effort that has been evident over the last few weeks and gave themselves hope with goals 2 and 3, both scored by Ross Kennedy. Solway had the last say in the game with a 6th goal on 53.35 through Ian Bowie.

An excellent game of hockey as both teams searched for their “A” game to take to next weeks play offs.

Photos by Tom Foy

Hawks, finishing in 7th place at the end of the regular season will now play 2nd placed Sheffield Steeldogs in a two-legged tie.

Hawks will travel to Sheffield for the first leg on Saturday 23rd, face off 1730hrs and the reverse fixture will take place the following evening  Sunday 24th at the Blackburn Arena with our usual face off time of 1730hrs.